Rantings of the disappointed believer

Saturday, November 04, 2006

I knew Balder.Maybe I should explain before I go on.

Balder is the Norse god of good times. In the Norse traditions, the gods manifest through people(in this instance), or in other fashions I might have the pleasure of discussing later. I knew Balder, for a time, as he manifested through a girl I knew.

Down the highway, about a half of a mile from where I live is a convenience store. Now, you must understand the a convenience store out here is a gas station, drink shop, the beer counter (they can't sell liquor), the sandwich shop, it's part grocery store, and a place to hang out for a few minutes, if you are so inclined. The folks behind the counter are usually a bit unpolished, could be the educational level, could be the socio-economic background, I don't know. I do know that the people here are rednecks, and I am glad to call this place home.

All that brings me back to Balder. Actually, I'll call her Kelly, because I'm not comfortable using real names in a public forum.

Kelly wasn't from here. Kelly had tattoos, wore too tight clothes, her accent was different, and she threw attitude at whomever was close by. You could tell from the first moment you met her that this was no country girl, she was from Miami.

Everyone looked out for Kelly. I'm not sure anyone needed to, Kelly'd likely rip your arm off, but something about her made people check to see if she was ok. I was guilty, too, I would drive the extra half mile to go past the store on my way home from work at night to make sure Kelly got out of the store on time. She always did, but if she was at the store after hours, there were several people hanging out with her.

There was always someone hanging out with Kelly. There were several teenagers who would hang around the store, talking mostly amongst themselves, but occasionally to others. Everyone knew Kelly, though. And everyone seemed happier when she was there.

Kelly went back to Miami a couple of weeks ago, her mother was sick, and something about her brother. She was going home to take care of the really tough stuff life throws at you, and everyone wished her well. Some people offered advice, some people offered sympathy, everyone told her to hurry home.

I drove up to the store the other day, I needed smokes, or a drink, or something which I've forgotten by now. Of course, Kelly was not there. The other girl behind the counter is a nice girl, speaks cordially, tells funny jokes. She's not Kelly. She's not Balder.

Nobody hangs out at the store anymore. People drive in and make thier purchases, then drive away, just like this was a store in the city. I understand, now, that Balder is not a god who comes and goes as peoples lives traverse from the bad times to the good times and back. Balder is the glue which holds together our communities.

2 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Adam Byrn "Adamus" Tritt said...

It is curious, an often amazing, how the gods and spirits make themselves manifest in our everyday lives.

And even if they have that, we make them manifest by identifications. We make them live again and again, on and on, by seeing the mythic in the common and realizing one is built of the other. Which of which is often hard to say.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Earthpig said...

Okay, it took me a while to realize what is so halting about your observation, Sir Adamus. Strangely enough, it is now very plain.

The Common, or mundane, and the mystical are seldom seperate. In every mundane action there is some reason. This wisdom I gained from you some years ago when you spoke of the cutting of the end of a roast. We always just do that, but we don't know why. The answer is simply to fit the roast into the pan.

Often the mundane is equally firmly connected to the existance of the gods, in whatever form they may take. Friendship, community, and the manifestation of Balder are so closely intertwined they become all the same one.

Well said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home